How to Write a Killer About Us Page
Statistics show that About Us pages typically rank as one of the top 5 most visited pages on a website. But sadly, most About Us pages are filled with a bunch of boring jargon. They simply don’t connect and an opportunity to turn a website visitor into a new client is lost.
As a leading Nashville Web Design company one of our main objectives is to help our clients turn website visitors into customers. A great place to start is with overhauling the About Us page.
What if you could turn your About Us page into one of the highest converting pages on your site? First, let’s start with the goals of an About Us page.
The Goals of an About Us Page
An About Us page should have 2 goals:
- It should tell your story in a way that explains the benefits of your product/service
- It should move visitors to the next step in your funnel (your call-to-action)
It sounds easy, but for many people writing can be intimidating, time consuming and difficult to complete without clear direction. Next, let’s take a look at 9 tips on how to write an About Us page.
9 Tips to Write an About Us Page That Converts
Our friend Joel Widmer provided this handy 9-point checklist. It serves as a great guide to writing a killer About Us page on your website.
- Tell YOUR story. Your blog content may be resourceful and actionable, but your About Us page is an opportunity to tell your story. If a head of lettuce at Costco can tell their story, so can you. How did you start? Why did you start? What challenges did you face? How do you help your customers the most?
- State your value proposition. Your value proposition is a clear statement of who you help, how you help, and how the customer benefits. Add it to the top of the page so your customers know they’re in the right place.
- Use real faces. Faces humanize a brand. They add trust and authenticity. Show your readers that you’re a real company with real people. (Not hanging out with stock photos or a wall of text.)
- Focus on the benefits. This may sound counter intuitive, but your About Us page isn’t really about you. It’s about what you do for the customer. Features don’t matter nearly as much as what the customer gets out of it all. Use more “you’s” than “I’s.” Think beyond the obvious. How does your product/service change your customer? (Click here for a great guide to help you with that.)
- Stay out of the weeds. Avoid getting bogged down by details. This isn’t the place to walk the reader through your entire offering. Stick to your story and the benefits.
- Let your customers speak for you. Use social proof (testimonials, reviews, etc.) to signal that you’ve helped other people in the past. Faces of your customers and their business logos can add authenticity.
- Include branded media. Skip the stock photos. Use custom images, gifs and videos that represent your company and brand. Don’t be afraid to go behind-the-scenes.
- Offer a few ways to contact you. Some people like to email or complete a form. Some like to make a quick phone call. Be sure to give them options.
- Guide readers to take the next step. End your page with a clear call-to-action that directs readers to take the next step on your website. That may be calling you, requesting a quote, or scheduling a free strategy session.
Still Don’t Feel Comfortable Writing Your About Us Page?
If you would like help with your website or writing a better About Us page, we can help. 323 Design offers copy writing as one of our services along with logo design, web design, graphic design and SEO. We specialize in working with clients in Nashville, Franklin, Brentwood, and throughout Tennessee.
Give us a call at 615-299-7312 or request a quote.